Inauguration of the Agnes McLaren delivery teaching room
It all began with a small vintage photo in the museum of the old Medical Faculty of Montpellier in France. The picture showed a Scottish doctor from Edinburgh: Dr Agnes McLaren, first woman who graduated as doctor at the Medical School in Montpellier in 1878 and only 10th woman with a medical degree in th UK. She dedicated her life to improve health care for women and children, as GP in Cannes and in the St Catherine Hospital in Rawalpindi, today Pakistan, a vision that later led to the foundation of the Medical Mission Sisters.
Caroline Debladis, a scottish woman, living in France discovered this small photo and and after some research, founded the Agnes McLaren Association. She was fire and flame to make this inspiring woman known to the public. On 10th April 2019 the Medical Faculty of Montpellier dedicated a new delivery teaching room to Dr Agnes McLaren, to commemorate her first medical graduate and to inspire future generation of medical and midwifery students.
Sr Simone Herrmann from London took part in the inauguration ceremony as representative of the Medical Mission Sisters.